Returning the Favor and other Slices of Life

Returning the Favor
Returning the Favor
Now Available on Smashwords for Kindle and other ebook readers!

Monday, July 11, 2005

Actual Poker post

So last weekend it was time for the Celebrity Poker Tourney - 4th of July edition. Jeremy was in town from his Branson gig so we threw together a tourney for him. Not a bad turnout for a holiday weekend - 13 total.

Me
Donna & Wes (the Great Scotts)
Tom (the other Great Scott)
Nate Frankel
Chip (HatBoy) Decker
Jeremy
Carver (Shades) Johns
"Uncle" Phil Taylor
"Wildman" Jim Esposito
Michael Nester
and a couple of others that I can't really remember

One hand in particular that I remember went something like this -

I limp in on the button with pocket 9s. Donna min-raises about T300 to double the bet. Folds around to me, I call. Flop comes rags, Donna bets out about T1000. I call. Something smells fishy. Turn is another rag, so I actually have an overpair with 9s. Donna bets out T2000, and I call. River comes with a K, and Donna only bets out another T2000, so I put her on unpaired overcards, and after a couple minutes, call. She turns up AJ o/s, and my 9s take it down.

Two out of three times I get pocket 7s and lose a pile of money to Jacks or Queens on the turn, so I openly declare that I'll auto-fold pocket f'n 7s if I see them again. SO of course about 8 hands later, there they come. I limp. Nate bets out aggressively, as he has been doing all game, but I call. My set flops, and I call his big bets all the way down. When I turn up my set of 7s to his crap, everybody calls me out on my 7s. "I lie." I say, scooping a mountain of chips my way.

Down to 2 players, me and the Wildman, Jim E. We've seen this movie a couple of times before, but this time I'm the one with a big stack of chips. Important poker lesson gets learned RIGHT HERE - if a tourney starts at noon, and you think you've got a shot, probably food would be a good idea. It's now 3:30, I'm the final two, and all I can think about is a cheeseburger! So I piss away a pile of chips and take 2nd for $50, a $30 profit. IN play money of course - NOTHING TO SEE HERE TAX MAN.

Then because I'm not just hungry, but stupid too, I piss away my $30 profit in a side game so end up even for the day.

GO to Iesha's for a July 4th party and make back $20 teaching newbies the game. Aaaahh, rookies. If only they'd had more cash.

Peace,

J

No comments: