Returning the Favor and other Slices of Life

Returning the Favor
Returning the Favor
Now Available on Smashwords for Kindle and other ebook readers!

Thursday, September 08, 2005

Ah shit, Iggy was right.

So a long time ago, in a galaxy far far away...okay, it was last month at Bradoween, when I mentioned in Iggy's presence the stakes and terms of our little weekly home game ($10 buy-ins, etc) and he mentioned to Dr. Jeff "Dude, don't play on that game, you'll develop sooo many bad habits." At the time I was a little offended. I think I suck slightly less than the average trout, and I manage to do pretty well at our little game usually.

Shit, Iggy was right. Over the past couple of weeks I have played like the biggest fucking fish in the world, and it's bled over into my online play, too. I managed to scrape through last weekend as an utter calling station and stay up by a whopping $4 after 4 hours. It's getting tough to take the stakes seriously, which is why I bumped the minimum buy-in up to $20. Still puny, I know, but 3-4 buy-ins at $20 is about all my friends are willing to lay out, so it'll probably stay there. I just need to drill some discipline into my sorry ass and not call with shit because "it's just $.50. or It's just a buck." I did at least manage to throw some discipline back into my online play, cashing in 4 out of 5 SNGs in the last week, so that's got me feeling a little better, but I have to translate some real tightness into my live play, especially since I have a table image that makes G-Rob look like a rock. So while the invitation is wide open for any folks in Charlotte to join our little game, you may develop really bad habits as a result. Or just take money from the fishies, which is never a bad thing.

On a separate note, would any of the folks that read this be interested in a decent-sized buyin tourney in November? I'm thinking the Saturday after Thanksgiving, for a $50 buy-in. Lemme know if anybody from around is willing or interested in coming around.

Peace,

J

No comments: