Returning the Favor and other Slices of Life

Returning the Favor
Returning the Favor
Now Available on Smashwords for Kindle and other ebook readers!

Saturday, February 02, 2008

When dreams come true

When a theatre manager realizes that the lobby isn't big enough for the crowds, it's an amazing feeling. We had that experience during Corpus Christi, Jeffrey, Pageant and The Vagina Monologues. I relived those moments a little bit last night as I tried to squeeze past people to get to the bar at the Burning Coal Theatre opening nigh gala. The place was packed, and that's a great thing for a new facility.

I only knew a couple of people there, but it was obvious that most of them were passionate about the company and what they have going on. Jerry and Simmie were both glowing, as the dreams of many years came to fruition. Jerry's curtain speech was great, he gave the requisite boring thanks to everyone that helped out, but then he quoted his mentor, Adrian Hall and said "If you're not in the theatre to change the world, then get out of my way!"

That's how I used to feel about theatre, and occasionally still do, but it was great to see that in the eyes of my friends last night as they brought their dreams to fruition. The show was good, but of course I had to leave at intermission to deal with work shit, so I missed the ending. It was Inherit the Wind, though, so I know how it ends.

No comments: