Returning the Favor and other Slices of Life

Returning the Favor
Returning the Favor
Now Available on Smashwords for Kindle and other ebook readers!

Tuesday, December 13, 2005

I still don't have words

What do you say when you're stuck back at your desk when you miss your imaginary internet friends (phrase copyright SheVerb) amazingly and can't wait 'til the next time you all get to hang out together?

So here's the thing. We took ownership of any part of Vegas we happened to be in last weekend. From the Castle to the IP to the MGM, you knew if the bloggers were in the hizzy. Hammers were flying, blinds were straddled and raised dark, wheels were spinning, Joe Speaker was king of prop bets, chips were shipping, and fun was definitely +EV.

But holy shit these people can play some cards. If ever I doubted that bloggers could throw cards with the best of them, all doubts were set aside when I watched April turn it up a notch after painting a bulls eye on this poor stoopid kid at our table Sunday night. This dumb bastard sat down and sucked out harsh on the Geek, then gloated a little about how he "had the cards."

Hey Doogie, bad move. And news flash: Q-10 off suit isn't strong enough to call a raise preflop in early position.

The lovely April went from jolly April to Chick On a Mission like the flip of a switch. And it was thing of beauty. I'm waiting for her to post all the gory details, since I had to leave and pack before she was done having her way with him, but I contributed to his tilt in my own, small way.

I'm in middle position with A4 off-suit. Bunch of limpers, so odds are almost right for me to play my crap. So I do. With a limp.

Flop - 2 3 Q

Checks around. That was one of the best flops I could have ever dreamed of, so I'll take off a free card.

Turn - 6

Doogie (or Red Shirt) in early position fires $10 into a $12 pot. I know he's got a Queen with some medium kicker. Folds around to me.

"So it's gonna cost me ten bucks to hit my gutshot?"

Stares at me.

Alan and April chuckle.

"Okay, call."

River - 5

Alan and April laugh out loud. Red shirt's whole body deflates. He bets $10

"Raise to $20"

"Call"

"Straight"

Red Shirt goes to the bathroom for a minute.

That was nice. Still lost a shitload of money that night, but I think I gave it all to either Shelly or April, so it coulda been worse.

More to come, including important lessons on my game learned from playing with people who kicked my ass, and the inevitable bad beat story, which is only really a moderate beat, but still a good story. Oh yeah, and then there's the one about G-Rob collapsing to his knees in the Castle poker room...

5 comments:

Joe Speaker said...

Good Christ. I only just remembered that we wagered two bucks on the color of that newlywed's wife's hair.

You sir, may have a gambling problem.

All kidding aside, it was a great pleasure to meet your acquaintance and to sling some chips with ya. We do have a couple spare rooms in the house if you're ever looking for a new place to live. The offer has nothing to do with the fact I have a thing for guys in skirts.

Unknown said...

I hope you didn't me wanting to feel up your kilt in the tourney.

A pleasure meeting and losing many prop bet to you!!

alan said...

I was trying to remember which blog was yours while trying to do my writeup... glad you got yours done first.

Nice meeting you and playing cards. :)

Joanada said...

I just got back home, and all I can think of is that I wish it was still last Wednesday, and the 6 of us were still sitting at that table dropping f-bombs and drinking beer. Seriously too much fun. Cant wait for the next one!! :)

Joaquin "The Rooster" Ochoa said...

Ahhh, the best dressed guy at the tournament...no pictures?