Returning the Favor and other Slices of Life

Returning the Favor
Returning the Favor
Now Available on Smashwords for Kindle and other ebook readers!

Saturday, October 14, 2006

Big Scary Secret Service picking on little girls again

I would post something nasty about our ineffectual, knuckle-dragging evolutionary regressive President here, but I’m afraid the Secret Service would come drag me out of class.

DON  THOMPSON
Associated Press
SACRAMENTO, Calif. - Upset by the war in Iraq, Julia Wilson vented her frustrations with President Bush last spring on her Web page on MySpace.com. She posted a picture of the president, scrawled "Kill Bush" across the top and drew a dagger stabbing his outstretched hand. She later replaced her page on the social-networking site after learning in her eighth-grade history class that such threats are a federal offense.
It was too late.
Federal authorities had found the page and placed Wilson on their checklist. They finally reached her this week in her molecular biology class.
The 14-year-old freshman was taken out of class Wednesday and questioned for about 15 minutes by two Secret Service agents.
Now the article goes on a lot longer to talk about California’s governors vetoing bills that would have required that parents be present when questioned by the fuzz, and whatever else. But really, at what point do you realize that a 14-year-orl girl is not exactly a threat worthy of a trip to Sacramento?

I’m not even a public figure, but I’ve felt threatened by folks a few times. The thuggy-looking kid scowling at me at the gas station. The BIG hillbilly in the country bar, glaring at me because I might or might not have been chatting up “his” girl. Even the formerly coked-out National Guard refugee who can’t hold his pretzels, but gets the opportunity to push THE button with no more than a “Hey Y’all – watch this!”

Those are threats. But I haven’t felt threatened by a pubescent girl since Jill Estes broke my heart in seventh grade by telling her friend to tell me not to send her a rose from the student council rose sale on Valentine’s Day. And even in this age of  Columbines and Paducahs, Shortly after I found out that the writer was a 14-year old hippie chick, I think I might coulda called off the dogs.

Of course, I guess the kid’s lucky she’s not at Gitmo by now. Has anybody seen my habeas corpus? I’m looking all over and can’t seem to find it. I think my habeas moved to Canada. Maybe my corpus needs to follow.

2 comments:

Joaquin "The Rooster" Ochoa said...

Ouch...my friend, you should let the 8th grade broek heart stuff go...no matter how much it hurts. Shed a tear for Flagstaff

Rod said...

Well - she basically got what she deserved - I mean - for 30 years every single threat to ANY president, via snail mail, email or ANYTHING gets checked out.

It's not just Bush that is doing that.

WITH THAT SAID - I'm a member of the Democratic Underground so you can guess my views on the current way of life in one of the worlds most oppressed super powers.