Returning the Favor and other Slices of Life

Returning the Favor
Returning the Favor
Now Available on Smashwords for Kindle and other ebook readers!

Friday, September 28, 2007

So maybe it's more serious than I thought

So in my last post I mentioned in passing that my mom is in the hospital. At first blush we thought it was a urinary tract infection that had gotten sever and was threatening with sepsis. Now that's a pretty damn big deal on its own when you're 74, but yesterday we find out that it's not a urinary tract infection, that my mom is hospitalized with an E. Coli infection.

Now that's some scary shit. All I knew from E. Coli was that you could get it from eating food that was handled improperly, and if left untreated, it could kill you. That's about enough. The docs think she'll still be fine, but this thing has fucked her up but good. When I got there yesterday, she was still running a low fever and was still pretty loopy. Loopy's not an unusual condition for Mom, but this was a little more than usual.

We don't know where it came from, especially since my dad eats the same stuff that Mom eats, and he's fine. But there are apparently a lot of ways you can pick up this bacteria, so my dad and aunt spent a chunk of yesterday giving the house a ridiculously thorough cleaning. So in the end she'll be fine, but that's just a little freaky, to see something in real life that you only were previously aware of from CNN.

On the poker front, tonight is the return, after a two-week hiatus, of the Falstaff home game. Let the donkery commence! I warmed up by spending a little time online at Full Tilt the past few nights between writing recaps of the EPT London for PokerNews and PokerWorks. I've doubled my online bankroll, up to a whopping $200! Yeah, I know. If I just took the ad money they gave me each month and never played, I'd have more than that in just a few months. And then last night I dropped $45 over the course of a couple hours. Time for another couple weeks away from the internet poker machine, I'm starting to suck too bad again.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Crossing my fingers, my friend.

Keep us informed!

Sean

Daddy said...

Hope the moms gets better soon, broseph.


Consider this:
http://www.theatermania.com/content/show.cfm/section/synopsis/show/128881

April said...

I hope your mom is better soon!

Anonymous said...

All about urinary tract infection