Returning the Favor and other Slices of Life

Returning the Favor
Returning the Favor
Now Available on Smashwords for Kindle and other ebook readers!

Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Black Shields

We don't know what happened. We don't know why he did it, if he did. He hasn't said anything, and they can't. Two cops were shot in the head and killed Saturday night in Charlotte, the first line-of-duty deaths here in more than a dozen years. Neither officer had fired their weapons, and the man that's been arrested for their shooting isn't talking, even to protest his innocence.

Now don't get me wrong, I play "Fuck Tha Police" as loud as anybody, but the deaths of these officers has shaken me a little. There are a few professions to me that are sacred, people that are, or at least should be, untouchable. Mostly these are people that have given their lives to helping others. Police officers, firefighters, teachers, clergy, doctors, folks like that. Normal people, people like me, who just go out and have a job that they may or may not be fulfilled by or may or may not feel like they affect any change in society by the work that they do, we're different. We're the working class, white or blue-collar schlubs out there grubbing for a dollar.

But those folks that put it out there for the greater good, there's something holy there. The sacrifices they make are different - cops and firefighters and soldiers put their lives on the line, teachers work for shit money, doctors and preachers spend years perfecting their work so they can be on call at all hours of the night. And for what? I don't know, I'm not them. But I gotta think that the feeling of satisfaction they get from healing someone, body or soul, from saving someone's home or life from fire or a bad dude, is the reward they're working for. I'm very glad that there are still selfless people out there willing to take these jobs.

But now these guys are gone, and we don't know why. But looking at the black ribbon on the badge of the guy at the diner last night, I really just wanted to say thanks. I appreciate you. I'm sorry you lost two brothers, and I feel diminished for the actions of an angry young man. But I didn't say that. I just picked up my takeout and drove home.

So I'm saying it now. Thanks. To all of you.

3 comments:

TripJax said...

Being in Charlotte the last couple of days, I've had a chance to read the local news paper. That guy who shot them has a rap sheet bigger than Big Foot's dick.

I sometimes wish we had a few Boondock Saints in the world that would just go around and exterminate punks like that guy.

Nice post Falstaff.

Joaquin "The Rooster" Ochoa said...

I was in Huntersville last month and met some really good people out there. I find this story interesting.

RoseSlot2020 said...

เกมออนไลน์ สล็อตjoker123 slot online คลิกเลย
https://www.slotxd.com/jokergaming123